roasted delicata squash salad
This salad is packed with fall flavor and satisfying as a side dish or main course. Roasted veggies, pomegranate seeds and a tangy vinaigrette dressing make this a tasty, easy and healthy dish.
1 ½ lb. Baby Red or Fingerling potatoes (about 16 medium)
½ cup + 3 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt + Pepper
2 medium Delicata Squash (about 2 ½ lb)
2 tbsp minced shallot
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp champagne vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
10 cups fresh Baby Greens
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1 cup shaved or grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat oven to 425°
Chef’s Note: If you like, the potatoes and squash can be roasted well ahead of time; then assemble the salad just before serving.
- Cut the potatoes into slightly bigger than bite-sized pieces. Mound on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt; toss to coat the potatoes evenly. Arrange in a snug single layer and place in the oven, using the center rack. Roast until tender and just starting to brown (20-25 min). Remove from the oven when done, set aside to cool.
- While potatoes are roasting, prepare the squash. Trim ends off squash and halve them lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds and strings. Slice into thin half-moons, about 1/8” thick. Transfer to a large bowl, drizzle with 2 tbsp of oil and ¼ tsp of salt. With your hands, gently toss to coat evenly.
- Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment or non-stick spray and arrange squash slices on them. Roast, rotating the pans after 10 minutes, until the squash slices are tender and beginning to brown. Be sure not to overcook or the squash will dry out. (Some slices will be darker than others even when cooked perfectly; this provides textural interest and depth of flavor.) Remove squash from oven when done; set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey and 1/8 tsp salt. Whisk to blend and slowly drizzle in the remaining ½ cup olive oil as you whisk vigorously.
- Just before serving, place potatoes and squash in a large bowl and drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing. Toss well with your hands. Taste and add more vinegar, lemon juice, or salt as needed.
- Add fresh baby greens, half the pomegranate seeds, and half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Gently mix by hand. Sprinkle remaining pomegranate seeds and cheese on top, and finish with freshly ground pepper.