pink grapefruit dessert bars
Here’s a fresh twist on classic lemon bars. These are simple, not too sweet, with just a hint of juicy tang. Perfect for a dessert buffet—who doesn’t love a bit of this and a bite of that? If you have any left, pop them in the fridge to enjoy with your morning coffee. Because grapefruit is a breakfast item, right?
2 sticks (1 cup) slightly chilled butter, cut into 1” cubes
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon corn starch
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup fresh squeezed pink or ruby red grapefruit juice (1 grapefruit should be enough)
2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
2 drops pink or food color (optional)
- Set oven to 350° For the crust, mix flour and sugar together in a medium bowl. Add butter and combine until the mixture is crumbly. Use a pastry blender if you have one, or electric mixer or even your hands to do this.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of a greased (butter is best!) 9×9 baking dish. If you prefer a thinner crust, use a 9×13 baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Let it cool while you make the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, corn starch and baking powder. Add eggs one at a time and mix together (medium speed) until there are no lumps. Set mixer speed to low (or whisk by hand) and add grapefruit juice, zest, and food color.
- Pour filling over the warm crust, return to the oven for 20-25 minutes or until set (center will still be slightly soft and will firm as it cools).
- Cool completely; cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.