instant pot korean short ribs
Most Korean short rib recipes call for quite a bit of sugar, so I substituted a pear to have that desirable sweetness come from a more natural source. Apples work great, too! Searing the meat really helps lock in the flavor before having it cook in the Instant Pot. These tend to taste better the next day, so it makes for a great meal prep in my house!
3 lbs. beef short ribs (bone-in)
1 tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup tamari or soy sauce (or an alternative you prefer)
1 tbsp. rice vinegar or white balsamic vinegar or coconut vinegar
2 tsp. fish sauce
1 medium pear or Asian pear or Fuji apple (peeled, cored, coarsely chopped)
6 garlic cloves, chopped
3 scallions, chopped
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Trim excess fat from the meat. Rinse meat and pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; rub it into the meat with your hands.
- Set the instant pot to sauté. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Sear meat on both sides (you may need to do this in two batches to not overcrowd the meat).
- In a blender or food processor, add tamari or soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce, pear/apple, garlic, scallions, and ginger. Blend until smooth.
- Put all of the seared meat into the Instant Pot. Add the sauce and stir well to coat all the meat.
- Close and lock the lid; set the valve to the “sealing” position. Press the “stew meat” button. Set timer to cook for 45 minutes.
- Instant Pot will beep when it is finished; let it release pressure naturally. If pressure isn’t fully released after 25 minutes, manually release by turning the valve to the “venting” position.
- Set oven to 500° on broil. Spoon the meat onto a foil covered baking sheet. Broil for a few minutes, until the outside is slightly crisp. Flip meat, brush with sauce and broil a few more minutes.
- Transfer leftover sauce from the Instant Pot into a small sauce pan. Reduce on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Skim the fat off the top of the sauce before spooning onto the meat.
- Garnish with cilantro and sauce. Serve with rice and veggies!