hawaiian meatball hoagies
So easy and the best Hawaiian Hoagie you will ever eat! Slow cook them to perfection or toss in the instant pot at the last minute. Serve these with Sweet Hawaiian Slaw (recipe included) and come hungry!
1 bag (25 count) fully cooked, frozen meatballs
1 to 1 ½ cups BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbeque)
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple
1/4 cup pineapple juice (if using an instant pot)
1 package King’s Hawaiian Sweet Mini Sub Rolls (or roll of your choice)
Sliced green onion and diced pineapple for garnish
Slow Cook Method
- Add frozen meatballs to your crockpot. Pour the BBQ sauce and crushed pineapple over the top. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Spoon some of the sauce over warmed, sliced Hawaiian rolls. Add slow-cooked meatballs and garnish with sliced green onions and diced pineapple.
Instant Pot Method
- Add crushed pineapple, plus 1/4 cup more pineapple juice to your instant pot. Stir in the BBQ sauce. Add frozen meatballs on top. Pressure cook for 5-6 minutes. Quick release the lid and stir to combine the meatballs and sauce.
- Follow step 2 above and enjoy!
Sweet Hawaiian Slaw
1 cup each, shredded green and red cabbage (or purchase a bag of slaw mix already prepared)
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup pineapple, diced fresh or canned chunks
1/2 cup diced macadamia or cashew nuts (optional)
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ginger root, grated
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium)
½ lime, juiced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine cabbage, carrots, pineapple, nuts and scallions in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over the slaw and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.