cathe’s simple leek soup
Who’s ready for autumn? Leeks have a gentler flavor than their onion cousins, which makes them perfect for a deliciously creamy bowl of comfort food. Simply serve with your favorite crusty bread for a light and wholesome meal.
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons butter
Salt + Pepper to taste
- Remove the root end of the leeks. Trim off the dark green tops and discard.
- Cut the remaining white and pale green part in half lengthwise; slice into thin pieces.
- Using a colander, thoroughly wash the sliced pieces under running water; drain well.
- Melt butter in a pot over low heat. Add leeks and gently simmer until very soft.
- Stir in chicken broth, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to combine everything to a smooth consistency. (If you use a regular blender, you may want to let the soup cool a little before blending.)
- Garnish with croutons (or dollop of sour cream) if you like. Enjoy!